The Always Dream Foundation has created a literacy program called Always Reading that focuses on the development of early childhood literacy skills for students in Kindergarten through 1st grade. A key element to the program is providing 21st century technology by integrating e-reader tablets and digital books in the classroom.
To demonstrate e-reader technology as a measurable enhancement to a child’s reading success.
To close the achievement gap for children in high-need areas by focusing on early childhood literacy interventions, starting with kindergarteners.
To introduce interactive literacy technology to children who might not otherwise have access to digital media tools.
To engage and involve families and the community in the importance of early childhood literacy.
ADF has launched Always Reading in Title One classrooms in Northern California, Arizona and Hawaii. During the 2016-2017 academic year, the Always Reading Program will serve over 2,000 students in 87 classrooms.
- Peralta Elementary, Phoenix
- Starlight Park Elementary, Phoenix
- Glenn L Downs Elementary, Phoenix
- John F. Long Elementary, Phoenix
- Linapuni Elementary, Oahu
- Kalihi Kai Elementary, Oahu
- Fern Elementary, Oahu
- Puuhale Elementary, Oahu
- Waiahole Elementary, Oahu
- Pope Elementary, Oahu
- Kalihi Elementary, Oahu
- Sun Terrace Elementary, Concord
- El Monte Elementary, Concord
- Sankofa Elementary, Oakland
- Maloney Elementary, Fremont
- Blacow Elementary, Fremont
- McKinley Elementary, San Jose
- Washington Elementary, San Jose
- Bachrodt Charter Academy, San Jose
- Jose Ortega Elementary, San Francisco
- Roosevelt Elementary, Redwood City
- International Elementary School, Oakland
- Glenmoor Elementary, Fremont
- Sanchez Elementary School, San Francisco
Always Reading Program Components
We partner with Raising A Reader (RAR), a national organization that engages parents and their children to build and sustain literacy routines in their homes, particularly homes with children at the highest risk for educational failure. In the program, bright red bags filled with award-winning books rotate through children’s homes on a weekly basis. Learn more www.raisingareader.org
In addition, we’ve integrated myON, which develops personalized learning environments for students and houses the largest integrated library of enhanced digital books. All of the students we serve, now have access to more than 5,000 titles year-round in the classroom and at home. Learn more www.myon.com
Reaching children and families outside of the classroom is an important component of the Always Reading program. We host community reading events that expose children of all ages to the joys of books, and spread important facts about early childhood literacy. Kristi can often be found reading her books “Dream Big, Little Pig,” and “It’s a Big World, Little Pig” at events – from book festivals to the White House lawn. In 2013, we launched Kristi Yamaguchi’s Reading Adventures, which now takes place in San Jose, Phoenix and soon to be in Hawaii. Check out our Phoenix event.